Thursday, December 31, 2009
Sunday, December 27, 2009
Also made this card for hubby using strips left over from doing the baskets; they were all a half inch or less in width. I'm glad I didn't throw them out though! I ironed them onto fusible webbing first, then did the machine embroidery.
Thursday, December 24, 2009
What I like about this one:
skipped the quilting and embroidery on this one but I like it just as well as the others.
I like the placement of the squares and the lining fabric; love this Moda Merry and Bright line!
What I goofed on:
choice of bottom fabric...think it would have looked better with a cream or red.
Also working on one of these; just have to finish up the binding. Used a Moda Crazy Eight charm pack for it. Plan to make more of these as it is a nice pattern.
Think that's it for me now. Today need to have fun with the kids and give my poor sewing machine a rest!
A very Merry Christmas to everyone!
Friday, December 18, 2009
Made these up using this tutorial provided by Pink Penquin. I put candy canes and a chocolate orange in them for two friends at my son's school. Think they made cute gifts!
What I liked about the pattern:
makes a deep little basket that stands very steady. holds a nice amount of 'stuff'
I used Moda Merry and Bright charms for them so they worked up quicky.
pattern didn't call for the added quilting of the base and seams but it was fun to do.
What I didn't like:
Nothing really! Hope to make up some more for my sewing room ; great scrap catchers!
Also made up these little decorations with my son for his classmates and teachers. It was fun to see the pattern form using a varigated yarn. The kids all seemed to like them. To save time, I just used a label program to print off tags for them. Now just need to make more for our tree!
Thursday, December 10, 2009
this pic on Flickr the other day, complete with a great tutorial. It was perfect for a little boy's gift I needed. I diverted a bit from the pattern as far as the piecing goes but generally followed the pattern.
For the game pieces I machine stitched the letters onto fabric with batting underneath and then used the stitch I use for applique, to attach a felt piece on the back to cover the stitching. They stick nicely to the board this way too.
And since I don't care for velcro too much, I did a button closure for the pocket.
Hope he likes it! Now to get it in the mail!
Monday, December 7, 2009
I used the Hushabye tote pattern found on Moda Bake Shop for this one. For the most part, I did follow the pattern.
What I like about it:
love the added detail of the trim on the outside pockets
the lining and inside pockets turned out well
love the padded handles
the back side, I left it one big pocket which I think would be great for a book or two
added the loop closure to help keep it closed
What I goofed on:
used batting instead of fusible fleece b/c I didn't have any on-hand; made it too thick and I had to quilt the main body which was time-consuming
I know it's not too practical but hopefully she'll get a kick out of it and use it a bit!
This is a very roomy tote though so it would make a great diaper bag. Hope to make one for myself now. If I could make it a zipper closure, that would be even better, but I'd need a tutorial for that!