Saturday, March 19, 2011

Friday Night Sew-in results

So this is what I got done last night...they are block 15 of the Thread Head QAL. I changed the tips of the star to a different fabric on the right one, just so they weren't exactly the same. Joanne had mentioned that in her instructions, which I find is a great help. I'm always amazed at how just a wee change in the placements of light and dark fabrics, can make to a block! They look so different!

Now off to see what other's accomplished last night. I'm always in awe at how much other's get done.
Leave me a link and I'll be sure to check it out!

Thursday, March 17, 2011

paper pieced heart card

paper-pieced heart card by JasonsMum
paper-pieced heart card a photo by JasonsMum on Flickr.

I love making cards for my family. They are a great way for me to try out new sewing methods, stitchery, etc. This one was paper pieced. I found the pattern HERE. I just used bits from my bag of pink scraps, hence it doesn't blend very well, but it was fun to do. Don't think I could do a whole quilt of this block, but maybe a mug rug or table runner would be fun. I just used regular printer paper which was rather tricky to pick out. I'm sure there is likey better methods of doing it. Anyone try paper piecing before?

Firday Night Sew-in

The Friday Night Sew-in is almost here. It's tomorrow night! Yippee! So today, think I'll do some cutting to prepare for it. I take forever to pick out fabrics sometimes! Then I can just sit and sew tomorrow night.
I've got so many projects on the go, it's hard to choose. I'm really behind in my blocks for the Thread Head QAL, so perhaps I'll work on a few of those.
So if you haven't signed up yet, there's still time! Pull out some projects and go to it! Don't forget to sign up HERE!

Wednesday, March 9, 2011

jean tote

jean tote by JasonsMum
jean tote a photo by JasonsMum on Flickr.
Here's my latest project...a tote made from our old jeans! I made it for my husband to take his thermos and other lunch items in, along with a few tools, to work. It had to be durable as it will get muddy fast, riding the tractor and being tossed around on the farm! He's been using those cloth grocery bags you buy, but they didn't last long. He'd mentioned how the bags weren't much good, and so I thought why not give it a try, using denim.

I happened to have seen this great tutorial on Piece N Quilt. This quilt is on my to-do list now. I love it! I tried ripping the jeans as mentioned and it was so fast and easy! If you want a pile of jean strips in no time flat, do this! I was going to just sew them together to make a patchwork-type bag, then I saw the Jane Market Bag Flickr group and really liked the style. So I guessed at how it was put together.

jean tote

There is an outer pocket on both sides. Even the trim for that came from inside one of the pants! After I boxed the bottom, then I sewed up the four sides to give it structure.

jean tote

For the lining, I used some heavy cotton fabric that I had on-hand. I did a lined pocket for a binder or magazine. I didn't bother doing the corner pleats this time. For the bottom, to add more structure, I made a sleeve and popped in a piece of mesh canvas (thanks, mimi'sdarlins' for that idea!). That way, I can easily remove it to wash it.
I didn't bother with interfacing, even in the handles and it seems fine. In fact, in some areas, I really held my breath, expecting the needle to break because of the thickness, so I'm glad I didn't add it.

It certainly was fun and quick to make. I love making things like this, where you are repurposing old fabrics!

Wednesday, March 2, 2011

cloth ABC book


cloth ABC book
Originally uploaded by JasonsMum
Another UFO that had been shelved for months, is now done! Woohoo! I didn't put it on my list for the PhD Challenge b/c it wasn't a quilt. But after doing all the 'pages', it sure seemed like I made a quilt!
I presume from the book panel, that you are to just cut them apart, and sew together into a small book. But I decided that I wanted it larger and saw a pattern in McCall's Quilting magazine, June 2007 that I could get some measurements from for the pages. The book in the mag though wasn't layed out like my letters and covering pages were so I had to figure out the layout. I did that months ago, then when sewing it and almost completed, it dawned on me that I really hadn't checked my layout. You should have seen my happy dance when I saw that it was okay, lol!
pages pieced

Note my little helper there :) She was so excited watching me make this!
The pages are layed out this way b/c I matched up one on the left side with the one directly across from it, ironed a light fusible interfacing on one of them and sewed them together, turning RSO, then top stitching. For the cover, I actually used batting between the layers.
It made for a very thick book so I couldn't machine sew the spine, so I just tied it in knots up the spine using quilting thread. Hope it holds!
The recipient of it, doesn't seem to mind though.



I'd shelved this months ago b/c I needed more yardage and my LQS was out of it. I'd put it aside then, being frustrated. The letters came from a Love U panel by Deb Strain for Moda, along with some yardage that I used.
But now that I'm in the get'er done mood, I just decided to finish it up, using whatever scraps I had on-hand. And I'm so glad that I did. I think she likes it!

she likes it!