Monday, January 2, 2012

sewing space clean-up

Shelly of Prairie Moon Quilts is holding another year-end challenge. I participated last year and it was a great way to start the year off with a cleaned up sewing space. Plus I won some wonderful prizes. You can see some of what I did HERE. So I just had to join in again. You can read about the 2011 Final Countdown challenge HERE. We have until the 5th to get'er done so it's not too late to join in on the fun!

The first task: Clean up a pile.

Well I had lots of those so I've been working on this for a few days now.
Before shot:
before clean-up

After shot:
after clean-up

So what I did:
- removed unit that had got stuck in front of my hanging fabrics and bins (it now has toys in it in the family room)
- removed hanging fabrics and folded and placed into unit on back wall
- removed yarn bags from up high on shelves and put bins of sewing notions
- cleared out Christmas things
- placed old sewing machine table beside my current one that will fold out for pressing purposes
-yellow desk will soon hold sewing notions instead of kid's crafts, paper, etc.

Behind my desk is another unit that just needed dusting and clearing off a bit. Like Shelly, I have a helper too! That basket used to hold my current sewing project, but not anymore. It's been taken over!
DSCN0288

Then there is my cutting area...lots and lots of bins!
Before shot:
before clean-up

After shot:
after clean-up

What I did:
-removed desk and put the bins by the staircase
- made table smaller
- put yarns in wooden unit
- though you can't see it, behind a stack of bins is a built in shelving unit that I took everything out of and reorganized it
- moved bins about so I can get around the sewing table better

I know it looks cluttered, but this is only temporary. My dear hubby is working on a new sewing room for me so hopefully one day, all these bins will be behind closet doors. He's just framing the room now though so it will be awhile yet. For now though, I think I can work again in this area. It had been so crazy, that I just didn't feel like sewing much. So this will be a great way to go into the New Year!

So I think I did my share of cleaning up piles. Now onto the next challenge...

4 comments:

Shelly said...

Wow! That was a LOT of work! I'm so impressed, and I'll bet you're glad to have it done. (I rearranged furniture, too!) And your helper is so adorable . . .

mimi'sdarlins said...

I'm impressed, too! It must feel great to have this done and once again have an organized space in which to work. Great way to start off the new year!

Deanna said...

You have a wonderful sewing area. No wonder you turn out such lovely products. Congratulations on a successful clean and start to 2012.

Mama Pea said...

Will you come to my house and help me organize? Plllleeeaaasssse? Pretty please?