Friday, January 20, 2012

a travel sewing kit

Amy, of lots of pink here! has this wonderful travel sewing kit tutorial, that I just loved from the first time I saw it.  So with all my applique projects lined up to do this year, I just had to make it!  I think it will be so useful, whether I'm doing applique, embroidery, cross stitch, needlepoint or petit point.  
Except for the binding, which is Aviary, I used Patisserie by Fig Tree Quilts for Moda.  To do the patchwork, I used THIS method of Elizabeth's from Oh, Fransson! It was a really quick way of doing it. 

travel sewing kit

Then I just did some machine embroidery over the seams to quilt it.

travel sewing kit

Inside, I added an extra page for my needles and added the fabric cover to it. I plan on using this for various forms of needlework, so I'll have a page for each type of needle. Then I put in a pocket for my needle threader, as with age, this is becoming more and more handy, lol!

travel sewing kit

travel sewing kit

It was great fun in piecing this together.  If you need a sewing case, I'd definitely recommend this one. I know I'm going to get lots of enjoyment out of using it, and it's so handy to have it all in one place! 





5 comments:

amy said...

Oh Karen, it's adorable!! You did such a nice job and I LOVE all of your cute variations! Thanks so much for sharing it and I am so glad that you enjoyed the tutorial! xoxoxo

Mama Pea said...

Fantastic! It's so adorable. Your choice of fabrics was just great!

mimi'sdarlins said...

Karen, I just LOVE this sewing kit, and your fabric choices and work are beautiful! Thanks for including Elizabeth's link...I had forgotten about that method. I made a little quilt using the printed grid interfacing years ago, and it really speeds up the process.

Dee said...

I just love your sewing kit! I saved the tutorial for future use. I need to make it soon! I loved your additions too! So cute & useful!

corina said...

What a great sewing kit! The decorative stitching really sets off the fabrics beautifully. Thanks for the links. I had heard about the gridded method for sewing lots of squares but had never seen it.