Tuesday, May 31, 2016

A zippered, lined tote bag

I'm finally back to sewing a bit these days. I had some health issues, and let's just say, it's resulted in a complete change in my diet and surgery scheduled to have my gallbladder removed. Not fun, but I'm adjusting. Hence, there has been little time to sew, as it seems like all my time is being spent in the kitchen these days!

But awhile ago, I found THIS great video tutorial by Debbie Shore, on a zippered, lined tote bag. I decided to re-purpose an old shirt of my husbands', and a pair of my pants, for this...both were well worn and very soft.

This is how it turned out...

I'm really happy with it! It has lots of pockets and holds everything I need.
The other side,looks like this...

 I did the outer differently than the video, because I wanted to piece it, using my new serger. I've always wanted a serger to finish off seams, and it's so much fun and fast to use!
I used the technique found in THIS video tutorial, to do the piecing. I used up strips of batting left over from when I've trimmed down a quilt, prior to binding. The batting was not all the same, but it doesn't matter to me. I even zigzagged some pieces together to make the size I needed.

For the inside, I used a shirt pocket and made it a pocket, and did a zipper on a pocket. So I ended up with 4 pockets!

The inside of the bag is hard to take a pic of, but this is how it looks...

I also added loops to the lining sides, for my keys and phone to hook onto, and I want to make a detachable shoulder strap for it, that could hook on the loops.
This is with it holding everything I need; even books and toys for the kids! Considering it is from re-purposed clothes, old zippers and scraps of batting, I'm really happy with the outcome.
Now I just need to use up any leftover scraps, for a matching cosmetic bag.
Thanks for reading and dropping by! 
Happy stitching! :)

1 comment:

mimi'sdarlins said...

Wow, this is one of the most efficient use of scraps and recycling ever! I've watched Debbie's videos and she's very thorough. Your bag turned out beautiful and is so functional, it's nice to see all the views inside and out. Congrats on a beautiful finish :)