Sunday, July 3, 2016

A focus friend

As I mentioned in my previous post, my daughter goes to a French Immersion school. The children are allowed what they call, fidget toys, to be used at certain times of the day, like when they have 'carpet time' and have to sit and listen. So I got the idea to make her one, as she loves playing with my fabrics. I found THIS great tutorial on the Sew Mama Sew site and they call it a focus friend. Perfect!

My daughter had so much fun picking out the different fabrics, beads, ribbons, lace, and zipper for it! For fabrics, we used some hand dyed velour scraps, silk, drapery fabrics, waffle weave, faux fur, and even fleece from two of her favorite toddler jammies. The grey elastic and buttons were from an old pair of her pants.


I sewed and filled each pocket with white pellets just like in the tutorial. I had used a piece of muslin for the backing and I didn't like the roughness of it. So I used Jenny's method, from MSQC, to make a backing and self-binding out of soft fleece. You can see the video for it HERE.  My machine struggled with the thickness of the fabrics, so the stitching didn't come out well, but my daughter is just happy to have it done!
The only real tricky part I had with it, was not striking the pellets with my needle, as I did the sewing. So next time, I might try piecing the whole top first, then sewing up like a pillow and then fill with the poly pellets.
It was a very fun project for us to do together and if it proves helpful for her in class, I'm sure we will make more.

Thanks for dropping by and happy stitching!♥

1 comment:

mimi'sdarlins said...

This is a great idea and a sweet little toy for children of many ages! I'm so glad you got it finished and that your daughter loves it so much. I spotted some monkey fleece...my granddaughters had jammies in this print, too :)